Eventually all the the excess space at the top and left of the painting started to bother me so I took the painting outside to my work table and cut it down with a power saw. I had an old picture frame that was right for the new size so after touching up the few scratches this caused the painting was finished and sold.
There is as much wrong with this painting as there is right so let's review the goods and bads.
1. The idea, I love the little goblins and the play on Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
2. Her skin tones came out very nicely. This is still the hardest thing for me to do and I'm proud of any painting where it comes out nice.
3. You've gotta admit that's one nifty space pistol. I know you want one of those.
1. I hate the orange color on the back wall, wish I'd painted it out entirely.
2. That negative space between her back and her left hand and fruit bowl. It makes this ugly straight line. My eye goes directly there whenever I look at this picture and I suspect yours does too. There are much nicer things to look at in this picture, but that dark straight line grabs your attention. I should have moved the bowl so that it overlaps her figure and breaks up the straight line. Or just cheat and give her a little more curve in the hip. Actually most of the straightness was caused by her hip curve being hidden by the blanket in the photo, but it doesn't look that way in the painting. Terrible mistake, completely ruins it for me.
3. And I'm sure I don't have to tell you her head's too small.
Most of the time I'm a -learn your lessons and move on- kind of guy, but I'd like to revisit this one someday. It could be so much better. Who knows, I might even put clothes on her next time.